Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Batch #2.5 Honduras Wampusirpi with Satsuma Zested Sugar

2016 saw a banner crop of Satsuma in South Louisiana. I picked about 8 satsumas from my poor little tree, and my Aunt picked 100 times that much from her tree.   I was bring box after box of satsumas to my happy coworkers just so the fruit wouldn't go to waste.

 

So with this overabundance of satsumas I had to find creative ways to use them. I put them in pound cake, cookies and scones, and then I decided try them in chocolate!! I had previously zested a few cups of sugar, so I figured I would add the zested sugar to the melanger and see what would happen!!!


I melted some (500g) of the Batch #2 65% Dark Honduras Wampusirpi that I had made a few days ago, and added 142 grams of the zested sugar. I was afraid that the moisture heavy satsuma sugar would make the liquid chocolate seize, but everything turned out well. There was a lot of crunching when I slowly started to add the sugar, but things quickly settled down.


After about 3 hours of refining I added an additional 34g of melted cocoa butter, and let it refine for another hour. Based on what was already in the 61% Dark of Batch #2, I figured my additions of sugar and cocoa butter Batch #2.5 ended up being 50% ( 36% cocoa liquor, 14% added cocoa butter, and 50% sugar).

To temper I used the Cocoa Butter Silk from Chocolate Alchemy, but sadly I got streaks of bloom once again. Tempering is really my Achilles heel.


But streaks aside, how did it taste with the addition of the Satsuma???

Well honestly, I didn't notice a difference between the zested and unzested chocolate.  I was sad.  I thought the zest would give it a more citrus flavor.   But no such luck.  It was good, but there was not citrus pop.

I also tried tempering the chocolate again, and this time I had better success.  I used a different thermometer, and put the mold in the refrigerator for a few minutes after the chocolates were tapped and allowed to setup for ten minutes are so.



I really need to figure out why the tempering works one day and flops the next day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment